Some folks call these “triangle thingies”, to others they are “camping hammock suspension adjuster triangles”. The purpose is to move the connection point for a camping hammock UnderQuilt in along the ridgeline from the head and foot of the hammock in order to have a more vertical pull on the UQ suspension. This helps many UQs fit more snuggly and can solve some drafty UQ problems.
Hammock suspension triangles are a great beginner DIY project that is quick, simple, and uses very little material. These would be a great intro DIY project for Scouts that are getting into hammock camping.
However, if you would rather purchase hammock stuff than make it, CampSaver.com has a wide selection here.
Other hammock projects you might like:
- How to make an Insultex Hammock UnderQuilt (UQ)
- How to make a Hammock UnderQuilt (UQ) from a poncho liner
- How to make a No-Sew Hammock UnderQuilt (UQ) from a poncho liner
- How to make a camping hammock tarp
- How to make a DIY camping hammock
-about one square foot of material. I used a light DWR nylon (not RipStop) for mine and they work great. Others have used various materials with success. Most folks use 1.1 or 1.9oz Ripstop Nylon.
-about 5 feet of 1″ wide grosgrain ribbon
-100% polyester thread
-a sewing machine, or needle and thread (and patience)
-optional: 4 D rings and 2 clips
1) Decide if you want to roll hem the edges or fold grosgrain ribbon over the edges. I prefer to fold grosgrain over the edges.
2) Cut two 12″ equilateral triangles of fabric. If you are going to roll hem the edges, add 1″ to each side to account for the hem.
3) Roll hem or attach grosgrain ribbon around the edge of each triangle.
4) Decide if you want D-rings on the suspension corners and/or a clip on the corner that connects to the hammock.
5) If you want the D-rings and clip, then cut six pieces of grosgrain ribbon about 3″ long each. Fold in half so that each is a doubled-over 1.5″ piece. Slide one D ring or clip down to the fold of each ribbon. Sew each folded ribbon to a corner of the triangle so that the ribbon is on each side of the triangle fabric (ribbon – fabric – ribbon), and the D-ring or clip is captured within the loop. 2 D rings and one clip per triangle.
6) If you don’t want the D-rings, then cut six pieces of grosgrain ribbon about 4″ long each. Fold in half so that each is a doubled-over 2″ piece. Sew each folded ribbon to a corner of the triangle so that the ribbon is on each side of the triangle fabric (ribbon – fabric – ribbon).
7) Attach to your hammock and UQ as shown in Dejoha’s diagram , or here:
Some have even made them of Amsteel with NO fabric inside.